Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cookin With Coupons

My March is full of birthdays.  My daughter turns 8, my son turns 11, and my mom...doesn't like her age mentioned.  This means I'll be cooking up some easy birthday meals that the kids like, and my guests will be able to enjoy.  Any mom knows by the time you get the cake, the presents, the wrapping, the balloons, and the decorations up, fixing a meal with guests in the house needs to be simple.  

Birthday meal #1  Saute chicken sandwiches
Katy loves chicken.  So I picked up some chicken breast last week to try this meal before the big day.  I sliced each breast so that each was about 1/2 inch thick.  I had a coupon for Saute Express by Land o LakesSave $.75 on 1 with the printable link.  I picked up Garlic and butter, it was good.  I added the saute mix to a skillet on medium high and put the chicken in the skillet.  I cooked each side for about 7 minutes and then turned off the heat.  Then, I had a Penny Pincher coupon for French bread from the bakery.  I again, sliced the bread down the middle and decided to give it a quick grill with butter and a bit of parsley.  Finally I assembled some Chicken sandwiches that were about 2" across with the grilled bread, tomato, lettuce and Kraft mayo Save $1 on 1.  I served them with some Krunchers chips (on sale this week use newspaper coupon to save additional $1on 2) and we had a quick easy clean up meal.  It will be perfect for a birthday party where all the guests will be using fingers and having cake for dessert.  Perfect!


Birthday meal #2   Jimmy's Chips Galore

 Jimmy named these nachos himself.  He has a certain way he likes to make them and this week's sale makes it an easy crowd pleaser.  Start with Totstio's Cantina Chips.  We are in love with them.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and chip.  Next allow your 10 year old, who could be 11 tomorrow shred cheese.  I love it when we have a sale on block cheese.  This week, we have all types of Dutch Farms, or Store brand cheese for sale for $1.69   One block will do ya on this meal.  I let Jimmy grate the cheese the old fashioned way.  It's more than 16 oz and saves me money.  He thinks it's a privilege to old enough to make Chips Galore.  Next, use your Old El Paso coupon to save $.60 on 3 and pick up some refried beans, picante sauce and green chiles.  I add the beans to a sauce pan with a little milk.  Just about a 1/4 cup.  Heat on low stirring until its nice and smooth.  That will allow you to pour the beans onto the chips.  Next, add some left over ground beef or chicken from your freezer left overs to the chips.  Pop in the oven and bake for 10 minutes at 350.  We don't want these to get too hot, but want a nice crisp to the chips and contents. Pull the tray and add cheese.  Add it all!  Love that gooey cheese.  Replace in the oven another 5 minutes.  Do watch these!  Since your cheese will not all be even, be sure to melt, not burn.  Pull from the oven and top with onion, Old El Paso picante, and green chiles, and Fresh Prairie Farms sour cream  save $.35 on 1.  Jimmy loves it when we put Chips Galore on the kitchen island and we all party up and have dinner on cocktail plates.  Your party guests can casually snack.


Grandma's special cake

My mother has been making this cake for years.  She calls it Turtle cake.  I call it short cut cake.  She starts with a Betty Crocker boxed cake mix2 Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour half of the batter into pan. Bake at 35o for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat 1 bag of Kraft caramels and half cup of Eagle evaporated milk (use newspaper coupon to save $.55 on 1) and stir.   Stir in pecans, I put a whole bag but I love pecans.  Have you seen the huge bags in the produce department for only $4.99  these are large good pecans.  Take the bottom half the cake out of the oven and pour caramel mixture over warm cake in pan. Add half a bag of Nestle Chococate chips for good measure, and then pour the remaining batter on top of the whole mixture.  Bake another 25 mintues, cool and serve.  It's my mom's favorite, and good for me to make for her on her birthday March 17th.  Happy Birthday mom!   

For additions Print N Save Coupons:
CouponNetwork.com
Coupon Clipping Services:


All internet coupon print limits are subjective. At the time of this email coupons were available for print. If the daily or weekly print limit has been reached, the coupon will be automatically pulled from the websites. You can try to print again tomorrow. All coupons listed are not available in our stores. We list them so you can order or find them to save you money. Check with clipping services, trade boards, or ebay to find coupons not in your store. It is our intent to help you find as many savings opportunities as possible. Enjoy!