Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cookin With Coupons


I like watching Pioneer woman's cooking shows. She's always cooking in a cast iron skillet.  So that got me thinking.  It's winter, I'm missing good old fashioned burgers and I wonder if I picked up a skillet like her's what I could come up with for fast easy affordable meals.  I bought a Lodge Log skillet and turned on broil in my oven.

Meal #1  Butterburgers
I've often grilled by burgers then buttered by buns and grilled them outside but its just too cold to stand out there and grill yet.  So, I thought burgers should be my first meal. Step 1, is to soften 1 stick of Prairie Farms butter.  Right now we have Ground Beef on sale so picking up some fresh beef is easy.  Make 6 uniform balls and flatten for burgers.  My husband always uses a sheet of  Reynolds Parchment paper (print $1 on 1 coupon on link)  and smashes his burgers with the bottom of a cereal bowl.  I usually just get the goo all over me, but I have to admit his way looks better and is less messy.  Next slice an onion very thin.  Put two pats of butter on your skillet and your onions.  Broil for 5 minutes then turn the onions.  Give them another 3 minutes and they should be done.  

Next some the burgers.  Put two more pats of butter in the skillet.  Each burger  will cook about 4 minutes per side, longer if you prefer your more done.  We're a pink is pretty family!  

Last are the buns. I use Kings Hawaiian Sandwich buns.  You'll get these in the deli, not the bread aisle.  There's a $1 on 1 coupon out right now, so use that!  These buns are great for making any meal special, and with a coupon cost the same as plain ole buns.   You will want to wipe your skillet and then apply more butter to the buns.  I always hit the inside and outside of the bun.

Side Dish #1  Cowboy Fries
Love seasoned fries. Hate seasoned fries price in the frozen section.  So about three years ago I started experimenting with my own seasoning mixes.  I keep every container from frosting to make my own seasoning mixes.  It saves me money every time!  This mix is simple and I keep the recipe on the side of the container.  Grab one BIG spoon.  Add:
1 spoon of Paprika
1 spoon of sea salt
1 spoon of Garlic Powder
2 spoons of Brown Sugar
1/2 of Cayenne pepper if you like the "yeehaw kick"
and a teeny tiny bit of Celery Salt.  I mean small!  

Cut up some fresh potatoes and place in a plastic bag.  Put 1 T of your mix in the bag and shake.  Bake potatoes before the burgers in your oven that is getting warm.  Add oil to the baking sheet and space the potatoes evenly.  Bake 20 minutes on broil.       


Side Dish #2  Shhhh-It's fruit and its good for them....
Getting my family to eat fruit is tough.  Yet I manage to collect many Dole canned fruits  Use booklet coupons to save $1 on 3.  Try this easy way to convince the family fruit is good!  Gather 1 can of Dole Pineapple chunks, 1 can of Mandarin oranges, 1 can of Dole Tropical blend.  Then add in some of the Holiday Celebrations grapes.  Toss all with a combination fruit dressing made from 1 cup of Prairie Farms Orange Juice, Use newspaper coupon to save $.45 on 1, 1/2 cup of sugar and a T of cornstarch and a tsp of poppy seeds.  They will love it!  

 


For additions Print N Save Coupons:
CouponNetwork.com
Coupon Clipping Services:


All internet coupon print limits are subjective. At the time of this email coupons were available for print. If the daily or weekly print limit has been reached, the coupon will be automatically pulled from the websites. You can try to print again tomorrow. All coupons listed are not available in our stores. We list them so you can order or find them to save you money. Check with clipping services, trade boards, or ebay to find coupons not in your store. It is our intent to help you find as many savings opportunities as possible. Enjoy!