Friday, May 27, 2011

Kids and Coupons


This weekend I taught 3 classes on coupons. We set up clubs in Keokuk, Rushville and evening club in Pittsfield. What was interesting was the number of teens who attended the coupon classes. Some were clearly there to grab coupons for their parents. Some were there to learn.

In Keokuk the 4H club is teaching teens to grocery shop an save money. Two girls were asking all kinds of questions for their summer projects. What a great idea! All kids need to learn this life skill. Just think, you buy a car only 6 times in life, you buy a house 3 times, yet you buy groceries 2080 times. Don’t you wonder if we spend so much time shopping for groceries why we don’t spend more time teaching our kids about saving money at the grocery store?

This summer, my 13 year old will be attending coupon club with me. She could be at grandma’s reading a book, or texting her friends. Instead I’m making her attend our club meetings. I’m hoping some of our conversations will rub off on her. I want my kids to know how to save money, and how to use those life lessons in other aspects of their entire life.

If I had a time machine, I think I’d go back and start couponing in 1997 when I moved into my own home. By my best estimate, I could have saved over $90,000 in those years. Wow. Maybe I can teach my daughter just enough this year that she will have those same savings habits.

All of our club meetings are ran by customers and are open the public. Teens are welcome to join so long as they are not disturbing the other members. If your store has not started a club yet-don't worry, it's on its way!