Friday, June 10, 2011

Adoption: Every Cashier Needs a Loving Coupon User


I adopted my cashier a couple of years ago. Her name is Debbie. My local club knows I talk about her as being “Mine” all the time. Debbie actually laughs and thinks it funny. She'll help me out, but doesn't like getting her picture taken.

Having a good relationship with your cashier is good. She has often said things like, “Did you see the coupon over by produce?” or “Some other customer just had FREE toothpaste she got from the clearance rack in the back” She sees it all. If there is a deal in store that is unadvertised, Debbie has seen it.

Another reason to adopt a cashier, is so that they get to know you. Debbie likes to play the “Count it down” game with me. I put the groceries on the belt, then we guess where I’ll end up. We kind of play it like Price is Right. I will tell her up front, I’ve got a couple coupons in the pile I’m not sure will work. She’ll then try to guess which ones they are. No sneaky games with my Debbie. I tell her if I’m stacking a coupon that may not work. Then the entire uneasiness does not exist. She knows, I’m just seeing if it will work, and she helps me anyway she can. She is more relaxed knowing me, that she doesn’t have to stress over coupon fraud, or me trying to use a coupon on a wrong item. It’s good for both of us.

A week ago, we had a sale on a Saturday afternoon. One of our good coupon customers had to work and was in a hurry. Because she had a great relationship with the store and her cashier (which happens to be mine!) we were able to get her in line, use all her coupons at once, and off to work in time.

To work on your relationship, try these things:
  1. Introduce yourself
  2. Engage in small talk
  3. Line up your coupons all facing bar code up
  4. Ask for any in store tips